Online casinos in India is a tale as old as the history of India itself. Many ancient manuscripts and Hindu mythologies have instances where the royals indulge themselves in rolling dice and expecting the desired result. With the evolution of culture and the passage of time, these games started to manifest themselves in various forms and mediums. It has been passed down from generation to generation, evolving into different forms to ultimately give us the playing options that we have today.
However, while India has undoubtedly got a long-standing relationship with online casinos, the concept of responsible gaming is still new. Casual gambling is fun, but there are times when it may become an addiction and lead to a dark, dangerous road. There is a very fine line between casual gambling and problematic gambling – it is important to identify it early so that the rest of your ride goes on without a hitch. Responsible gambling, in its purest sense, means to bet online whether it is casinos or sportsbooks, responsibly. In other words, you have to bet in a manner that does not severely impact your personal life or that of those around you.
And in all honesty, it is essential in India where we have so many ways to wager our money. Whether it is Poker, rummy, or casino slots, responsible gaming in India is a mandate that every casino novice or expert should follow. You can never go wrong by playing responsibly irrespective of your expertise in the game or how lucky you may be. Casual casino playing is supposed to be a fun experience where you can escape the monotonous routine of your daily life. But at the same time, it can also lead you down a dark path where you may lose the very sense of reality.
A fine line between online and offline
There is a fine line that separates casual playing from addiction and it does not matter whether it is physical casinos or online casinos. It is an issue widespread in many parts of the world and consequently, the last couple of decades have seen a lot of effort put into raising the awareness of responsible gaming in casino-regulated countries. Non-profit organizations and institutions are addressing this very concern so that patrons can enjoy the casino experience in the way it is meant to be. But it is different in a country like India where online casinos still come under a grey area. We still see a problem with playing mainly on account of the addiction it leads to. So the real question is to make players experience the thrill of wagering money responsibly and winning, without sliding to the dark side of the Roulette wheel. The answer lies in choosing a reliable casino and to a great extent exercising self-discipline. In this aspect, the best online casino is not the one with the most promotions, but with some completely other factors as you will see.
Fundamentals of Responsible Gambling
Below are a few fundamental points that you need to understand in order to play responsibly. Take a close look!
Bet what you can afford to lose
This should be the very first thing to consider when it comes to avoiding gambling addiction. Always bet what you can afford to lose. As skillful of a player you may be, there is still a great deal of chance involved in online casinos. Yes, there are games like Rummy and Blackjack where you can tilt the odds in your favor but even then, the odds are not 100% with you. You should never make the mistake of betting your paycheck or savings with the prospect of making good money.
Do not chase your losses
This sentence holds good for online betting in India. There will be days where you are going to lose money when your luck may not be with you or you are just having a bad day. Whatever may be the case, if you lose money, you should not go about trying to win it back. You may end up losing much more in the process. Your mindset will have shifted dramatically and you will no longer be focussed on your strategies and game plan. Instead, you will be running after your losses which is just plain bad. You should forget the loss and focus on the present.
Online gambling is not a form of income
Many people think that they can make a living out of betting in online casinos which is far from the truth. There is no saying when your luck will turn around. You have to put this idea in your mind that, online gambling is not a form of income. This concept may very well backfire and turn into a disastrous road that will lead you to severe gambling addiction.
Always play with a strategy
Every move you make, every bet you make, must be driven by solid, concrete reasoning. There needs to be a betting strategy in place, irrespective of what you are playing whether it is online slots, casino games, or just betting in sporting events. You should look into the idea of online casino bankroll management and make a plan that allows you to use your funds efficiently to last for a long time.
Play with reputed and licensed operators
One good thing about the casino scene in India is there are a lot of options available to the players. Some of the leading operators from the European markets are concentrating on the Indian market in a race to lure new customers. These operators have been around for quite some time and are backed by an immaculate reputation and licenses issued by the leading authorities. These licenses require the online casino to educate and emphasize the users about gaming responsibly. From comprehensive texts and information on identifying gaming addiction, to dealing with it and implementing self-checks, limits, and timeouts in the player account, casinos nowadays have truly gone out of their way to create a safe, secure atmosphere for Indian patrons.
Do not bring your emotions to the table
It is hard to make sound financial decisions when you are not in the right frame of mind. When you are angry, upset, depressed, annoyed, or just not feeling good mentally, do not gamble online. It might be tempting to head to an online casino and place a wager to distract yourself from whatever is troubling you, but the result may be disastrous for your pockets.
Track your online gambling habits
In a world where everything is driven by data, there is no reason why you should not do the same when it comes to gambling responsibly. A good player always keeps track of his wins and losses, games, amount wagered and won, along with his mood. All of this data will help you make better decisions in the long run. This requires some work, but the efforts will be far more fruitful than wagering just blindly.
Trust someone and share your experience with them
It is a slippery road that takes you from casual betting to gambling addiction. To stay in control of your habits, you should keep your closed ones informed of what you are doing. It can be your best friend, your significant other, or even your family members if you have that kind of a rapport with them. Though gambling is a bit of a taboo in India when you trust someone close to you with it, it makes your job of staying in control a whole lot easier.
How to identify if you have a problem with gaming?
It can be difficult to admit you have a gaming problem, especially to face the harsh truth about yourself. Nevertheless, it is essential that accepting the issue is the very first step to recovery.
Even though a list of options is offered by the online operators to guarantee patrons are gaming responsibly, it is still the user’s choice to follow the principles. A customer must have the willingness to be responsible and a high sense of self-awareness. With this in mind, there are a few questions that you can ask yourself to assess whether you are addicted to gaming or not like:
- How easy is it for you to lose track of time while playing?
- Do you spend a lot of time gaming?
- Are you in the habit of chasing your losses after you have lost money?
- Do you borrow money/sell your precious belongings to satiate your playing habit?
- Are you in debt because of playing?
- Does playing take a lot of your time in day-to-day life?
- Has gaming caused you to deal with depression, anxiety, and health problems?
- Have people around you told you that you have a problem with gaming?
- Do you tend to play until you lose all the money?
- Do you play compulsively?
- Lastly, do you feel guilty about your playing habits?
If the answer to most of these questions is yes, then, you may very well have a problem with gaming addiction. Most of the time, people resort to playing to improve their mood or escape the problems in their life. Some look at playing as a way to gain some profit, which definitely should not be the case. You have to be honest with yourself and must be willing to fight this addiction.
How to overcome gaming addiction in India?
Quite contrary to popular belief, there is help for those addicted to playing in online casinos in India. From online support organizations to family and friends, there are a plethora of options that people can explore and kick the habit back to the curb.
- If you believe that you have a problem with casinos, you can first reach out to your family and close ones. By bringing them into the loop, you will be accountable to them and it will also impart a certain level of control on your gaming habits. You should not be hesitant to discuss the issue with them so that they can help you by fully understanding the extent of your problem.
- The next step for you would be to contact the support line of the online casinos that you play at and discuss the issue with them. These trained professionals specialize in addressing responsible gaming to its core. They can implement self-exclusion measures and time-outs so that you can take a break from online casinos and work on yourself.
- You can get in touch with online forums dedicated to gaming addiction. You can discuss your problems with other members and experts under complete anonymity while following the guidelines laid down by them.
- If you believe that gaming addiction is way too big a problem for you, then you may also want to visit a psychologist to address the root of this problem.
- You should never bet with an illegal operator. When betting, always look at the operator’s license. You should try and find an operator with a five-star license. This will ensure that when you are betting with them, they will be complying with the strictest and most up to date regulatory requirements involving legality, responsible gaming, and product certification.
- But above all else, you will need the determination to admit that you have a problem and that desire to fight back. Otherwise, it will be an exercise in futility, no matter how much you try. However, you can entirely avoid going down this path altogether if you remember to play responsibly.
You have to look at gaming in the way as it is meant to be a fun, casual experience where you can gain something with some ingenuity and luck. The key to play responsibly is by being aware of your habits at all times. If you ever find yourself on edge, take a timeout and recollect your thoughts. Good luck!