The demand and popularity of online casinos in India has seen unprecedented growth in the last decade. Around 80% of Indians now enjoy gambling on online casino table games, sports or video slots. It is reported that India’s gambling industry is worth $60 billion annually, about half of which is unregulated play. There are many opposing views on what is legal, and the waters are further muddied in the world of online gambling by rapid developments.
In India, gambling activities are legally banned in many respects, with only lotteries and horse racing being fully legal throughout India. Although there are a few exceptions, there is very little control of regulated gambling in India. Only the states of Goa and Sikkim have permitted land-based casinos.
Online gambling laws in India
The legal situation in India relating to online gambling is very vague. Most of the major online casinos welcome Indian players and they do not automatically fall under Indian law since such sites are based and operated from overseas. It is probably safe to say that although running an online casino within India is illegal, playing at casinos outside India is likely legal for Indians.
However, except for the state of Maharashtra, India has no laws stating specifically that online gambling is illegal. Players just need to be sure that they use a casino that is reputable and accepts customers who are residents in India.
That said, there is other legislation that can cause problems. Gambling in India is legislated by the Public Gaming Act of 1897, which unsurprisingly makes no mention of internet gambling. But the Technology Act of 2000 does empower the Indian government to block foreign websites and has been used to prevent access to some overseas gaming sites.
The Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) 1999 was brought in to govern the exchange of foreign currencies. That means it can be problematic for Indians to deposit funds into gambling accounts from a bank or credit card. One way around the problem is to use an e-wallet, such as Skrill or Neteller.
List of Online Casinos in India
|Royal Panda||Betway||22 Bet||LeoVegas|
|Spin Casino||Jackpot City||Europa Casino||Casino Days|
|Twin||Play Zee||Boo Dog||Genesis|
|Pure Casino||Casino Room||Casumo||Lucky Days|
|Casoola||Rizk||10 Cric||Jungle Raja|
|1XBet||Omni Casino||Play OJO||NYSpins|
|Voodoo Dreams||Mr Play||Comeon||BetZest|
|My Chance||Duelz||Indio Casino||JeetWin|
|Betfair||Malina Casino||Wazamba||Casino Universe|
The growth of online casinos in India
- Online casinos in India have been slow to take off, largely due to the red tape involved and some traditional games being banned throughout the country. But online games based on skill, rather than luck, are now approved by the Indian government.
- Almost 90% of Indian households have access to a smartphone. So, Indian players can enjoy online casinos via their mobile devices, with access to many different kinds of casino games including slots, poker, roulette and blackjack.
- Another factor is that Indians love sports. Cricket, tennis and hockey are much-loved in India, and sports-themed games are proving hugely popular on many casinos. There are more online sports bettors in India, especially in cricket and horse racing than those playing traditional casino games.
Guide to choose an online casino
It can often get confusing to make the right choice based on your requirements when there are so many online casino choices. With no shortage of options, you may certainly be left confused and spoilt for choice. We may be able to help you in this case with our list of well-reputed leading casino sites in India. We can help you make an informed decision about your investment. Your investment is essential to you. We know that you would like to use your funds in gambling mechanisms that you can relate to and understand the most.
There is a certain benchmark to be considered while choosing a high-standard and trustworthy online casino in India. Those online casinos that do not meet these mentioned criteria are not to be chosen. These are some of the pointers to keep in mind while reviewing a casino.
- Accept Indian casino players – The casino website must cater to the Indian market.
- Accepting Indian Rupees – Indian online casinos that accept INR should be favoured.
- Gambling license – All the casinos chosen must be operated and regulated by the relevant licence providers.
- Payment methods – The availability of trusted and well-known payment providers is vital here, with special attention given to Indian e-wallets. Easy deposits and fast withdrawals are an absolute must.
- Mobile casino – Online casinos with their own IOS or Android App should be given top preference.
- Customer support – Evaluating customer service agents is an excellent measurement for how an online casino runs its overall business.
- Bonuses and loyalty programs – VIP programs and generous welcome offers with fair T&C’s are essential.
- Game diversity – No online casino is complete without a large variety of the hottest games with unique features that specifically appeal to the Indian market.
- Best gaming software – The optimal gaming software with the smoothest graphics, pitch-perfect sounds and enthralling themes is a catch.
- Responsible gambling – It is important for us that online casinos go the extra mile to take care of vulnerable players and guide them in times of weakness.
When you want to choose an online casino in India to spend your well-earned rupees you should keep a few things in mind like:
- Though it may be time-consuming, researching beforehand is always the key.
- If you are a new player, the sheer volume of conflicting information online can be confusing. Hence keep a clear mind while going through the list.
- Always keep your requirements in mind and go for the casinos which suit your needs.